|Posted by SAAVMA Historian on November 17, 2015 at 8:30 PM|
November 3, 2015 5:15 pm Lecture Hall 5
Class Representatives: SAAVMA Officers:
Semester 1: Tamara Dzikewicz P President: Alex Frolek P
Semester 2: Jessica Lubbers P Vice President: Kelsey Matern A
Semester 3: Sami Wetz P Secretary: Lauren Lev P
Semester 4: Hana Trekell P Treasurer: Stella Levy A
Semester 5: Ahmad Hussain P Social Chair: Cassie Martinez-McDow P
Semester 6: Jamie Coulson P Fundraising Chair: Stephanie Krco P
Semester 7: Enrique Lopez-Calleja P Historian: Hana Trekell P
Volunteer Chair: Omar Elamir P
SAAVMA Senior Delegate: Justin Simone – Absent Junior Delegate: Anne Piarulli – Present
SGA Representative: Kelsey Matern -- Present Faculty Advisor: Dr. Eric Dunayer – Present
I) Call to Order 5:15pm
II) Delegate Report:
1. FILL OUT THESE SURVEYS (if you haven’t already): - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r0aLtinn8X1pb-fOX_fb5k0fpuuKl9qc1- imyoobIY0/viewform https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/personal/peerandwellness/pages/default.aspx?utm_source=prettyurl&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign=mktg&utm_term=wellness (take the self assessment. You need your SAVMA login information) - http://www.stress.org.uk/stresstest.aspx
2. “Like” SAVMA on Facebook to stay up to date on the latest SAVMA news! https://www.facebook.com/StudentAVMA/timeline
3. The Teaching Excellence Award is currently accepting nominations for outstanding teachers in our profession. The teacher that is chosen will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the 2016 SAVMA student symposium at Iowa State. The authors of the winning entry will win $125! Due date: November 30th.
4. FOR RECENT/SOON-TO-BE GRADS: The Future Leaders Program is a one year program that enhances leadership growth. Information for the 2016-2017 program will be available this winter. This year’s project focused on wellness: www.avma.org/wellness —> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE OR SPREAD IT TO A CLASSMATE OR VETERINARIAN WHO MAY BENEFIT FROM THIS.
5. Want to travel and get some veterinary experience while you’re at it? Join Mission Rabies as they go to India and Northern Africa to vaccinate and sterilize stray dogs! http://www.missionrabies.com/projects/india/
6. There is a funding grant application with the Education and Professional Development Committee. - They are offering 4 $200 grants for funding for wet labs or lectures supplementing their college’s curriculum. Applications must be submitted by a student who is a member in good standing with SAVMA. Please limit proposals to no more than 250 words and provide all required information. Alcohol must not be provided at the events, and funding must not be used for gifts to speakers. Applications that fail to stay within these limits or fail to provide all required information will not be considered for funding at this time. Guidelines the committee will use when evaluating submissions: Uniqueness of proposed wet lab/lecture, Effective supplementation of the veterinary curriculum, Brief description of proposed event budget (ie. what the grant money will be used for), Impact the event will have on students who attend; 250 word limit - Submissions are due by Friday, November 6, 2015! Please email submissions as an attachment to [email protected] Also include your name and SAVMA ID# along with your submission. - Winners will be selected and notified in November (before Thanksgiving).
7. SAVMA’s Education and Professional Development Committee (EPDC) is having their annual Economic Issue Essay Contest! Two $250 prizes will be awarded. The deadline is Monday, January 4th. See the attachment for the essay prompt and more information.
8. There are 5 $500 stipends offered by the Public Health and Community Outreach Committee to help SAVMA members reach out to populations that are underserved in terms of veterinary care. Here is the link for the application: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1FVneA8-WHpJknvsnUaktMkdaDFOb0ImHppdl0F8uPyg/viewform
9. Want to be a part of the 2016 Student Legislative Fly-in? The dates are Monday February 29th- March 1st 2016. We can submit the names of 2 representatives and 1 alternative by Monday January 4, 2016. Attached (“Email to Students-2016-2”) is more information regarding the fly-in and the funding provided. Please contact me to fill out a registration form if you’re interested
10. The Public Health and Community Outreach Teaching Excellence Award nominations are happening now with a due date of December 1st. This award is meant for people who are going above and beyond to make a difference in the community. The winning nominee will get $300, funding to travel to the SAVMA Symposium in 2016, and will have the award publicly presented to them at the farewell dinner during the Symposium. The author of the winning application will receive $125.
11. The next deadline for The Vet Gazette is November 15th! They’re starting a new publication called: VetFessions which is an anonymous and safe place to share what’s going on it your life. This is so we can help each other because we’re not alone in this community! VetFessions: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1-VDofpohlVqzrHLufnzNUs_1_lgSrAziuwEJ-B2q5so/viewform TVG submissions: http://www.thevetgazette.com/call-for-submissions/
12. Attached is the Policy Education Grant Application which is offered by SAVMA’s Governmental Affairs Committee (Side note: Anne will be deciding who gets these grants out of all of the applicants, just sayin’). The grants are up to $500 to provide funding for policy related lectures and/or events supplementing the college’s curriculum. See the attached Application for more details. Due date: November 1st EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 15TH!
13. The National Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners are offering NAVLE Self-assessments for sale. These include 200 items, web-based practice exams with retired NAVLE items, score reports available right after completion, and a projected NAVLE score. Each self-assessment is available for purchase at $50 per form. A free sample is also offered with 10 items, tutorials and answer keys. For more information go to: www.nbvme.org or email: [email protected]
III) Fundraising Chair
1. T-shirt orders soon -> Lauren Lev and Stephanie Krco will be working together to design an official SMU T-shirt. Stay tuned for its début!
IV) Social Chair:
1. Lip Sync THIS SATURDAY - November 7th - STILL NEED @ FACUTY JUDGES - Margaritaville @7pm – 9pm - Drink prices or half price apps all night! - Default place is HRC. $5/ person unless SAAVMA thinks it should cost different. - Proceeds go into general fund/part of prizes? - Also, Cassie needs help to secure prizes. Similar to last semester, top 3 performances voted by judges, and fan favorite voted by crowd.
2. Christmas Toy Drive now until finals week – Donate 10CI toy for local kids in West Bay.
3. Ice Cream Social will be Nov. 27th.
V) Treasurer Report:
1. Current SAAVMA balance is 12, 746.73 USD.
VI) Volunteer Chair Report:
1. Flu Vaccine Drive - Wednesday, November 11th 2015 11:30-1:00 PM on 2nd floor conference room of the vet building
2. Rachel Grossman new volunteer chair nominee
VII) Historian Chair:
VIII) Semester Chair Issues/Topics
1. Can we get the scheduling issues resolved with the long gaps in between classes?
IX) SGA Report
1. Formal this Friday, November 6th.
X) Faculty Advisor Report:
XII) Senior Delegate:
XII) New Business:
1. Drawing for the winner for minutes money – Congrats Lindsey Luzuriaga
2. Massages for Feelin’ Good Friday – Class reps, ask your classmates who is interested and email Alex with a number.
3. Bed bug issue @ Halls especially since 1st semester students are required to live there.
4. Email Alex ([email protected]) to be entered in drawing for $5 to peach wave!!
XIII) Old/Ongoing Business:
1. The Forensic Conference is scheduled for November 6-7. Mark your calendars!
VX) Next Meeting is November 17, 2015 - Meeting ended at 5:58pm