|Posted by SAAVMA Historian on November 17, 2015 at 8:25 PM|
October 20, 2015 5:15 pm Lecture Hall 5
Class Representatives: SAAVMA Officers:
Semester 1: Tamara Dzikewicz P President: Alex Frolek P
Semester 2: Jessica Lubbers P Vice President: Kelsey Matern P
Semester 3: Sami Wetz P Secretary: Lauren Lev P
Semester 4: Hana Trekell P Treasurer: Stella Levy P
Semester 5: Ahmad Hussain P Social Chair: Cassie Martinez-McDow P
Semester 6: Jamie Coulson P Fundraising Chair: Stephanie Krco A
Semester 7: Enrique Lopez-Calleja P Historian: Hana Trekell P
Volunteer Chair: Omar Elamir P
**** WANT FREE MONEY?!? EMAIL ALEX @[email protected] to enter in a drawing to win $10 of choice to any establishment ****
SAAVMA Senior Delegate: Justin Simone – Absent Junior Delegate: Anne Piarulli – Present
SGA Representative: Kelsey Matern -- Present Faculty Advisor: Dr. Eric Dunayer – Present
I) Call to Order 5:15pm
II) Delegate Report:
1. FILL OUT THESE SURVEYS (if you haven’t already): - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r0aLtinn8X1pb-fOX_fb5k0fpuuKl9qc1- imyoobIY0/viewform https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/personal/peerandwellness/pages/default.aspx?utm_source=prettyurl&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign=mktg&utm_term=wellness (take the self assessment.
You need your SAVMA login information) - http://www.stress.org.uk/stresstest.aspx
2. “Like” SAVMA on Facebook to stay up to date on the latest SAVMA news! https://www.facebook.com/StudentAVMA/timeline
3. Attached is the Policy Education Grant Application which is offered by SAVMA’s Governmental Affairs Committee (Side note: I’ll be deciding who gets these grants out of all of the applicants, just sayin’;). The grants are up to $500 to provide funding for policy related lectures and/or events supplementing the college’s curriculum. See the attached Application for more details. Due date: November 1st
4. The Teaching Excellence Award is currently accepting nominations for outstanding teachers in our profession. The teacher that is chosen will receive an all-expenses paid trip to the 2016 SAVMA student symposium at Iowa State. The authors of the winning entry will win $125! Due date: November 30th.
5. There’s an AVMA Governmental Relations Student Externship Program. The blocks don’t exactly correspond with our breaks, but keep this link for a reference if you’re interested. AVMA provides a $1200 stipend. (aka: Free money). The deadline is October 16, 2015. https://www.avma.org/advocacy/getinvolved/pages/avma-governmental-relations-student-externship-program.aspx
6. FOR RECENT/SOON-TO-BE GRADS: The Future Leaders Program is a one year program that enhances leadership growth. Information for the 2016-2017 program will be available this winter. This year’s project focused on wellness: www.avma.org/wellness —> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE OR SPREAD IT TO A CLASSMATE OR VETERINARIAN WHO MAY BENEFIT FROM THIS.
7. Want to travel and get some veterinary experience while you’re at it? Join Mission Rabies as they go to India and Northern Africa to vaccinate and sterilize stray dogs! http://www.missionrabies.com/projects/india/
8. There is a funding grant application with the Education and Professional Development Committee. - They are offering 4 $200 grants for funding for wet labs or lectures supplementing their college’s curriculum. Applications must be submitted by a student who is a member in good standing with SAVMA. Please limit proposals to no more than 250 words and provide all required information. Alcohol must not be provided at the events, and funding must not be used for gifts to speakers. Applications that fail to stay within these limits or fail to provide all required information will not be considered for funding at this time. Guidelines the committee will use when evaluating submissions: Uniqueness of proposed wet lab/lecture, Effective supplementation of the veterinary curriculum, Brief description of proposed event budget (ie. what the grant money will be used for), Impact the event will have on students who attend; 250 word limit - Submissions are due by Friday, November 6, 2015! Please email submissions as an attachment to [email protected] Also include your name and SAVMA ID# along with your submission. - Winners will be selected and notified in November (before Thanksgiving).
III) Fundraising Chair
1. T-shirt order -> Lauren Lev and Stephanie Krco will be working together to design an official SMU T-shirt. Stay tuned for its début! IV) Social Chair: 1. Lip Sync November 7th - confirmation from Margaritaville for location and drink/food specials. 7pm – 9pm time limit! - Drink prices or half price apps all night! - Default place is HRC. $5/ person unless SAAVMA thinks it should cost different. - Proceeds go into general fund/part of prizes? - Also, Cassie needs help to secure prizes. Similar to last semester, top 3 performances voted by judges, and fan favorite voted by crowd.
2. Waiting to hear back from owner of Minus 5 for an Ice bar night, previously have discussed 8-20 people can get free admission in exchange for promoting via social media (photos, etc). Only 20 people can fit at one time! 3. Possibility to coordinate with volunteer chair, wellness club, and Feel good Friday for a puppy/kitten hour closer to finals week as a stress reliever for both med and vet students as well as get the animals some human bonding? V) Treasurer Report: 1. Current SAAVMA balance is 12, 746.73 USD.
VI) Volunteer Chair Report:
1. We are working on a fundraising proposal for an Adoption Volleyball Tournament. Stay tuned for more information. - Humane Society is on board!
2. Training courses for the Humane Society - Students/Dr. Gaskins can help with this?
3. Humane Society Wine Night at Dolce Vida– Wine, Pasta, and Wine Glass Painting in Caymana Bay will be Thursday, October 22, at 6:30-8pm. See Omar for more details.
VII) Historian Chair:
1. Front board was updated. The board near the student lounge will be updated soon.
VIII) Semester Chair Issues/Topics
IX) SGA Report
1. Formal on November 6th.
X) Faculty Advisor Report:
1. All faculty email addresses are updated on Moodle.
2. In regards to teacher’s letting students out on time, Dr. Dunayer sent an email to IT to see if we can set an alarm. IT is currently busy fixing the server issues. It will be discussed on the faculty meeting this week.
XII) Senior Delegate:
XII) New Business:
1. Subway was purchased by AVMA. Thank you!
2. No nominations received for Volunteer or Fundraising chairs.
3. Wellness Friday – Anne Piarulli is in charge of Week 8. Omar Elamir is in charge of Week 9.
XIII) Old/Ongoing Business:
1. The Forensic Conference is scheduled for November 6-7. Mark your calendars!
2. Please put your name on your locker because we will be breaking the locks to make room for other students this week!
VX) Next Meeting is November 3, 2015 - Meeting ended at 5:58pm