|Posted by SAAVMA Historian on September 23, 2015 at 4:10 PM|
September 22, 2015 5:15 pm Lecture Hall 5
Class Representatives: SAAVMA Officers:
Semester 1: Tamara Dzikewicz P President: Alex Frolek P
Semester 2: Jessica Lubbers P Vice President: Kelsey Matern P
Semester 3: Sami Wetz P Secretary: Lauren Lev P
Semester 4: Hana Trekell P Treasurer: Stella Levy A
Semester 5: Ahmad Hussain P Social Chair: Cassie Martinez-McDow A
Semester 6: Jamie Coulson P Fundraising Chair: Stephanie Krco P
Semester 7: Enrique Lopez-Calleja P Historian: Hana Trekell P
Volunteer Chair: Omar Elamir P SAAVMA
Senior Delegate: Justin Simone – Absent Junior Delegate: Anne Piarulli – Present
SGA Representative: Kelsey Matern -- Present
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Eric Dunayer – Present
I) Call to Order 5:15pm
II) Delegate Report:
1. Attached is a crossword puzzle about the benefits we get from being a SAVMA member. - The first person to complete it CORRECTLY and get it to Anne ([email protected], 411 at the suites, follow the 4th semester schedule, etc) will get a $10 gift card to Eats! All of the answers can be found on the SAVMA website under “Benefits of SAVMA Membership.” This is to encourage everyone to explore more of the resources that are available to us.
2. FILL OUT THESE SURVEYS (if you haven’t already): - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r0aLtinn8X1pb-fOX_fb5k0fpuuKl9qc1- imyoobIY0/viewform https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/personal/peerandwellness/pages/default.aspx?utm_source=prettyurl&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign=mktg&utm_term=wellness (take the self assessment. You need your SAVMA login information) - http://www.stress.org.uk/stresstest.aspx
3. Information from the AVMA convention House of Delegates: - There’s a student loan worksheet that gives a solid breakdown and two examples. Some of us can’t use it, but just in case anyone doing a supplemental program(s) for funding is interested, it will be attached to the minutes. (Re-assess yearly!) www.nslds.edu & studentloans.gov - “Like” SAVMA on Facebook to stay up to date on the latest SAVMA news! https://www.facebook.com/StudentAVMA/timeline - There’s an AVMA Governmental Relations Student Externship Program. The blocks don’t exactly correspond with our breaks, but keep this link for a reference if you’re interested. AVMA provides a $1200 stipend. (aka: Free money). The deadline is October 16, 2015. https://www.avma.org/advocacy/getinvolved/pages/avma-governmental-relations-student-externship-program.aspx
4. If anyone is interested in learning more about the accreditation process, go here: https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/accreditation/colleges/pages/coe-pp-overview-of-the-coe.aspx
5. FOR RECENT/SOON-TO-BE GRADS: The Future Leaders Program is a one year program that enhances leadership growth. Information for the 2016-2017 program will be available this winter. This year’s project focused on wellness: www.avma.org/wellness —> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE OR SPREAD IT TO A CLASSMATE OR VETERINARIAN WHO MAY BENEFIT FROM THIS.
6. Want to travel and get some veterinary experience while you’re at it? Join Mission Rabies as they go to India and Northern Africa to vaccinate and sterilize stray dogs! http://www.missionrabies.com/projects/india/
7. There is a funding grant application with the Education and Professional Development Committee. - They are offering 4 $200 grants for funding for wet labs or lectures supplementing their college’s curriculum. Applications must be submitted by a student who is a member in good standing with SAVMA. Please limit proposals to no more than 250 words and provide all required information. Alcohol must not be provided at the events, and funding must not be used for gifts to speakers. Applications that fail to stay within these limits or fail to provide all required information will not be considered for funding at this time. Guidelines the committee will use when evaluating submissions: Uniqueness of proposed wet lab/lecture, Effective supplementation of the veterinary curriculum, Brief description of proposed event budget (ie. what the grant money will be used for), Impact the event will have on students who attend; 250 word limit - Submissions are due by Friday, November 6, 2015! Please email submissions as an attachment to [email protected] Also include your name and SAVMA ID# along with your submission. - Winners will be selected and notified in November (before Thanksgiving).
III) Fundraising Chair IV) Social Chair:
1. If there are no objections to the dates below, Cassie will be scheduling these dates: - Movie Night - Weekend of Week 5 (Oct. 3rd @ 8pm) - Movie will be: Hocus Pocus! - Should we have a Halloween Bake Sale during it? -
2. Lip Sync- Weekend of Week 10 (November 7)--> @ Margaritaville - Cassie will delegate people to collect some prizes - Mid-Semester BBQ/ ZEW Event - Oct. 17th
3. If there is interest, Cassie can schedule a SMU night at the Ice bar. - We would need at least 20-30 people to reserve the space. The owner said he would grant free cover as long as people take pictures and promote the bar on Facebook, etc.
IV) Treasurer Report:
1. Statement: 2,519.87 USD i. This excludes the $8,500US stipend from AVMA/PLIT/GHLIT, which will clear on September 25.
V) Volunteer Chair Report:
1. We are working on a fundraising proposal for an Adoption Basketball Tournament. Stay tuned for more information. - Humane Society is on board!
VI) Historian Chair:
1. The Award Ceremony is set for September 30. 2. Board will be updated soon.
VII) Semester Chair Issues/Topics 1. Can the professors please let us out on time?
VIII) SGA Report
1. Can we coordinate our blocks with the med school to make scheduling school events easier?
2. There are no lockers for the 1st semester students. Please put your name on your locker because we will be breaking the locks to make room for other students.
IX) Faculty Advisor Report:
1. We have the SAAVMA ID numbers for the 1st semester students, so we need to schedule a time for people to come to media room to register everyone.
X) Senior Delegate:
XI) New Business:
1. Officers need to update their positions so we can vote for new positions.
2. Wellness Friday signup. - Budget for Wellness Friday will be 25CI/week.
3. Can we purchase a used fridge and/or freezer for the SCAAVMA office to store the leftover food from the BBQs.
4. Toilet Talk – we are in the process of making it. Stay Tuned!
5. Masks to donate to rescue services – Lauren Lev to speak on behalf of Dr. Roberts. - email from Dr. Roberts: Greetings SCAAVMA, At the end of last semester, I and Dr. Dunayer gave lectures/demonstrations to the Canine Officers serving with the local police and customs departments. First aid, trauma, rescue, toxins, poisonous plants and drug exposure were discussed. As a way to improve the local rescue responders ability to save pets lives and canine officers injured in the line-of-duty, I would recommend that the SMU student body (through fundraisers or other means) purchase oxygen rescue masks for first-responders. We would work with the DoA and supply sets of masks to fire departments in each district. Below are images and costs of the masks. Shipping and duty would also need to be researched and paid for. Please see this link: www.yuckos.com/pet_oxygen_masks.htm#top55
6. Shirts/school colors? Do we want to promote this/take this on?
XII) Old/Ongoing Business:
1. The Forensic Conference is scheduled for November 6-7. Mark your calendars!
XIII) Next Meeting is October 6, 2015 - Meeting ended at 5:58pm