|Posted by SAAVMA Historian on August 14, 2015 at 6:10 PM|
August 4, 2015 5:15 pm Lecture Hall 2
Class Representatives: SAAVMA Officers:
Semester 1: Breanne Fredette P President: Alex Frolek P
Semester 2: Sami Wetz A Vice President: Kelsey Matern P
Semester 3: Hana Trekell P Secretary: Lauren Lev P
Semester 4: Ahmad Hussain P Treasurer: Stella Levy P
Semester 5: Brian Fertitta P Social Chair: Cassie Martinez-McDow A
Semester 6: Enrique Lopez-Calleja P Fundraising Chair: Stephanie Krco P
Semester 7: Julian D’Cruz P Historian: Hana Trekell P
Volunteer Chair: Omar Elamir P
SAAVMA Senior Delegate: Justin Simone – Absent Junior Delegate: Anne Piarulli – Present
SGA Representative: Kelsey Matern -- Present
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Eric Dunayer – Present
I) Call to Order 5:15pm
II) Delegate Report: 1. BEFORE YOU GET BORED AND STOP READING THIS, FILL OUT THESE SURVEYS: - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r0aLtinn8X1pb-fOX_fb5k0fpuuKl9qc1- imyoobIY0/viewform https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/personal/peerandwellness/pages/default.aspx?utm_source=prettyurl&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign=mktg&utm_term=wellness (take the self assessment. You need your SAVMA login information) - http://www.stress.org.uk/stresstest.aspx
2. August 16th is the next deadline for The Vet Gazette. - Win an easy $25 in the Trivia category! - www.thevetgazette.com/upcoming-topics/
3. Information from the AVMA convention House of Delegates: - There’s a student loan worksheet that gives a solid breakdown and two examples. Some of us can’t use it, but just in case anyone doing a supplemental program(s) for funding is interested, it will be attached to the minutes. (Re-assess yearly!) www.nslds.edu & studentloans.gov - “Like” SAVMA on Facebook to stay up to date on the latest SAVMA news! https://www.facebook.com/StudentAVMA/timeline - If anyone has friends in law school, the AVMA has some pretty sweet prizes for their Animal Law Writing contest which opens in October and papers are due in February. Be a good friend & pass on this link: https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Pages/Animal-Law-School-Contest.aspx - There’s an AVMA Governmental Relations Student Externship Program. The blocks don’t exactly correspond with our breaks, but keep this link for a reference if you’re interested. AVMA provides a $1200 stipend. (aka: Free money). The deadline is October 16, 2015. https://www.avma.org/advocacy/getinvolved/pages/avma-governmental-relations-student-externship-program.aspx
4. There are grants (cough*free money*cough) coming your way! I’ll keep you updated on every opportunity!
5. If anyone is interested in learning more about the accreditation process, go here: https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/accreditation/colleges/pages/coe-pp-overview-of-the-coe.aspx
6. FOR RECENT/SOON-TO-BE GRADS: The Future Leaders Program is a one year program that enhances leadership growth. Information for the 2016-2017 program will be available this winter. This year’s project focused on wellness: www.avma.org/wellness —> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE OR SPREAD IT TO A CLASSMATE OR VETERINARIAN WHO MAY BENEFIT FROM THIS.
7. Want to travel and get some veterinary experience while you’re at it? Join Mission Rabies as they go to India and Northern Africa to vaccinate and sterilize stray dogs! http://www.missionrabies.com/projects/india/
8. ALL for students/AVMA PLIT was renewed for another year! Yay, money!
III) Fundraising Chair 1. Garage sell was last weekend. We need to have more participants to do this again next semester.
IV) Social Chair: 1. Welcome Back BBQ second Saturday of the semester.
V) Treasurer Report:
1. Statement: 5,710.00 USD
2. New Business: A request has been passed along asking if SAAVMA would be willing to contribute to this year's white coat ceremony. i. The organizers feel that will some financial support, there may be greater attendance and help offset some of the costs. I'd like to bring it to a vote at tonight's meeting.
VI) Volunteer Chair Report:
VII) Historian Chair:
VIII) Semester Chair Issues/Topics:
1. Can we have the professors’ email list updated on moodle?
IX) SGA Report X) Faculty Advisor Report: 1. We need to nominate for faculty awards.
XII) Senior Delegate:
XII) New Business:
1. The SMU website really needs to be updated.
2. We also need to update the SMU Facebook page.
3. PLIT representative Dr. Wernett is coming down September 7th and is paying for everyone’s memberships for GHLIT.
4. Do we want to have thank you cards made for speakers?
5. We will have Dr. Derrick from AVMA will be visiting in October.
6. Ideas for getting faculty more involved in SAAVMA.
7. Next semester we are going to start allowing clubs and individuals to request funds from the ALL for Student stipend. There is now a form to fill out.
XIII) Old/Ongoing Business:
1. Students need to have their rabies vaccinations before going to clinics or any externship.
2. Can we get the photos in the school updated?
VX) Next Meeting is next semester - Meeting ended at 5:55pm