|Posted by SAAVMA Historian on July 28, 2015 at 9:45 PM|
July 28, 2015 5:15 pm Lecture Hall 2
Class Representatives: SAAVMA Officers:
Semester 1: Breanne Fredette P President: Alex Frolek P
Semester 2: Sami Wetz P Vice President: Kelsey Matern P
Semester 3: Hana Trekell P Secretary: Lauren Lev P
Semester 4: Ahmad Hussain P Treasurer: Stella Levy P
Semester 5: Brian Fertitta A Social Chair: Cassie Martinez-McDow P
Semester 6: Enrique Lopez-Calleja P Fundraising Chair: Stephanie Krco P
Semester 7: Julian D’Cruz P Historian: Hana Trekell P
Volunteer Chair: Omar Elamir P
SAAVMA Senior Delegate: Justin Simone – Absent
Junior Delegate: Anne Piarulli – Present
SGA Representative: Kelsey Matern -- Present
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Eric Dunayer – Present
I) Call to Order 5:15pm
II) Delegate Report:
1. BEFORE YOU GET BORED AND STOP READING THIS, FILL OUT THESE SURVEYS: - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1r0aLtinn8X1pb-fOX_fb5k0fpuuKl9qc1- imyoobIY0/viewform https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/personal/peerandwellness/pages/default.aspx?utm_source=prettyurl&utm_medium=print&utm_campaign=mktg&utm_term=wellness (take the self assessment. You need your SAVMA login information) - http://www.stress.org.uk/stresstest.aspx
2. August 16th is the next deadline for The Vet Gazette. - Win an easy $25 in the Trivia category! - www.thevetgazette.com/upcoming-topics/
3. Information from the AVMA convention House of Delegates: - There’s a student loan worksheet that gives a solid breakdown and two examples. Some of us can’t use it, but just in case anyone doing a supplemental program(s) for funding is interested, it will be attached to the minutes. (Re-assess yearly!) www.nslds.edu & studentloans.gov - “Like” SAVMA on Facebook to stay up to date on the latest SAVMA news! https://www.facebook.com/StudentAVMA/timeline - If anyone has friends in law school, the AVMA has some pretty sweet prizes for their Animal Law Writing contest which opens in October and papers are due in February. Be a good friend & pass on this link: https://www.avma.org/Advocacy/StateAndLocal/Pages/Animal-Law-School-Contest.aspx - There’s an AVMA Governmental Relations Student Externship Program. The blocks don’t exactly correspond with our breaks, but keep this link for a reference if you’re interested. AVMA provides a $1200 stipend. (aka: Free money). The deadline is October 16, 2015. https://www.avma.org/advocacy/getinvolved/pages/avma-governmental-relations-student-externship-program.aspx
4. There are grants (cough*free money*cough) coming your way! I’ll keep you updated on every opportunity!
5. If anyone is interested in learning more about the accreditation process, go here: https://www.avma.org/professionaldevelopment/education/accreditation/colleges/pages/coe-pp-overview-of-the-coe.aspx
6. FOR RECENT/SOON-TO-BE GRADS: The Future Leaders Program is a one year program that enhances leadership growth. Information for the 2016-2017 program will be available this winter. This year’s project focused on wellness: www.avma.org/wellness —> PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO CHECK OUT THIS WEBSITE OR SPREAD IT TO A CLASSMATE OR VETERINARIAN WHO MAY BENEFIT FROM THIS.
7. Want to travel and get some veterinary experience while you’re at it? Join Mission Rabies as they go to India and Northern Africa to vaccinate and sterilize stray dogs! http://www.missionrabies.com/projects/india/
8. ALL for students/AVMA PLIT was renewed for another year! Yay, money!
III) Fundraising Chair 1. Garage sell is this weekend. - Should we reduce the price to encourage more participants? - We will advertise on ecay. 2. There are extra red polo shirts and T-shirts if anyone would like to purchase one.
IV) Social Chair: 1. SVECCS Trivia night this Friday, July 31, at Hard Rock Café. 2. Welcome Back BBQ first Saturday of the semester. 3. Movie night will not be happening this semester.
V) Treasurer Report: 1. Statement: 8,560.00 USD i. No changes to report
VI) Volunteer Chair Report: 1. Brian, the aquarist from the Turtle Farm, would like some student volunteers for some projects he would like to do. Stay tuned for more info. 2. Need a date for the Adopt-O-lympics.
VII) Historian Chair: 1. Hana updated the board.
VIII) Semester Chair Issues/Topics: 1. No issues with any of the semester chairs.
IX) SGA Report
X) Faculty Advisor Report: 1. We need to nominate for faculty awards.
XII) Senior Delegate: XII) New Business:
1. SMU used to maintain an adoption page for the DOA, but it hasn't been updated since 2010. Since students are required to advertise the dogs as part of clinical skills class, this needs to be addressed.
2. We have a good design for the planners for next semester. We hope to sell them next semester.
3. Our SAAVMA chapter will be receiving about $8,000 US from AVMA. - 1. We will be implementing a way for clubs/individuals to request funding, and all request must meet the requirements.
4. Should we give the exec teams access to the SMU SAAVMA email to make things easier to send out to the school?
5. The SMU SAAMA Facebook account needs to be updated and utilized more.
6. GHLIT is giving away $300.00 to help cover the cost of rabies vaccinations for those who have not gotten their shots.
7. Can we get the photos in the school updated?
8. PLIT representative Dr. Wernett is coming down September 7th and is paying for everyone’s memberships for GHLIT.
9. Next week is the last SAAVMA meeting. What food would we like?
XIII) Old/Ongoing Business:
VX) Next Meeting is August 4th - Meeting ended at 5:55pm